The Difference Between Hex Cap Screws and Hex Bolts
Hex head cap screws are designed for easy assembly and can be used in numerous industries such as computers, metal fabrication, medical, aerospace, consumer electronics, and telecommunication equipment. These screws can be produced using stainless steel as well nylons and thermoplastics.
The design of the screw is unique in itself. They consist of a thick hexagonal head with a washer face just below the underside of the screw head. They also consist of a bottom chamfered point. The washer face provides a great amount of bearing in an application. Slotted hex head cap screws are generally designed for installation into pre-tapped holes, although they can also be used with nuts.Differentiating Hex Screws and Hex Bolts
There is a common misconception that hex cap screws and hex bolts are one and the same. However, this is completely untrue. There certain differences between these two fasteners. Hex head cap screws are designed to be used in applications where tight and precise tolerances are required. On the other hand, hex bolts are recommended for applications where the requirement calls for a fastener with high mechanical properties and low dimensional tolerances.
Besides the aforementioned points, hex cap screws can also be differed from hex bolts by examining the manufacturing specifications of both fasteners. A few basic points are given below.Hex Cap Screws
- The flat washer located under the head is designed to meet specific tolerances ratios, which are prescribed in ASME Code B18.2.1-1996.
- Hex cap screws are generally manufactured using a cold-heading process or precision CNC machining.
- The diameter of a hex screw can be as large as 1-1/4???.
- Unlike hex screws, hex bolts can be designed with a die seam across the bearing surface.
- To ensure strength and toughness, hex bolts are manufactured using a hot forge process.
- The hot forging process also allows for the body diameter to be more than the thread pitch diameter.
These are a few basic points that differentiate the two fastening products. However, it is clearly proven that both fasteners are different. Hence, it is extremely essential to order the right fastener for your project.